No Fate But What We Make

Tech Infantry - Season 10

Forums

Forum Home > Special Features > The Miniseries and the TwikI

Martin The Mess

We're now halfway through the story.  We should start seeing articles on the TwikI for your player characters, your important NPC's, and your newly-established bits of canon scenery and story info.  You don't necessarily have to make the articles complete from the get-go, that's what the Edit button is for, expanding or fixing them later.  But when you created your character, you surely wrote a few paragraphs about their backstories and life history, paraphrase that or even just cut-and-paste it into the TwikI.  The same goes for NPC's important enough to get mentioned in your character sheet or to play a key role in your story.  Organizations, cities and towns, starships, bits of technobabble, all these things can make good TwikI articles.  So please, create a few articles, even if they consist of only a couple of sentences of text.  I or someone else can probably help with formatting, finding a good picture, inserting links, and so forth.  But first we need something to work with, and if it's a character or whatever YOU created, YOU should be the one to start its TwikI article. 

September 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xinjao

My general attitude is, "Meh, the miniseries will be over in a few weeks.  I'll focus on writing a good story for now, and update the Twiki when it's over."

--

=^_^=

September 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MJ, the Original Gangsta
Site Owner

I originally thought to hold off on this, because I didn't want to reveal too much about Scout before the story completed, but then I thought... hell, why not?!

Since the Twiki's your baby, Martin, I've posted Scout's page and updated the Vulthra stuff from all the backstory I wrote when creating my character. It doesn't spoil anything in my story. 

Hope you like it - enjoy!

--

I call myself Albigensia - the once and future Storyteller.

September 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xinjao

Wow.  That was awesome.  Good work!  Now let's just hope Lorpy approves it...

--

=^_^=

September 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

It's cool, I was already weaving some of this into his episode 3 story.

I do want to make sure that, as much as possible, the stuff that goes up on the wiki is actually mentioned in the story.  The story is weaker if you have to go looking up information elsewhere to make sense of it.

September 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin The Mess

Lorpius Prime at September 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM

It's cool, I was already weaving some of this into his episode 3 story.

I do want to make sure that, as much as possible, the stuff that goes up on the wiki is actually mentioned in the story.  The story is weaker if you have to go looking up information elsewhere to make sense of it.

Granted.  But one thing the TwikI is for is information we have decided on in some form, but haven't had a chance to actually put into a story yet.  This includes ideas and setting details that could serve as a story hook for a future story, even if it's not mentioned in story just yet.  Things like the drug "Nuke", several of the planet/system descriptions, one of the noble houses we actually have an article for, and even a few characters like Maax haven't actually been seen on-screen in a formal season story yet.  They're there for future reference and story ideas.  And when stuff on the twiki that HASN'T been referenced in the story yet gets retconned by something that IS in the story, well, that's why the TwikI is editable.  So when Lorpy changes the rules on the Caal so Scyr can take over the universe, the Caal article can get re-written to reflect this new canon. 

Another thing the TwikI is for is keeping the actual story from turning into a Naruto-style endless series of character-backstory-flashbacks whenever we introduce a new NPC.  Some bit-part characters like Zinger and Frances Xavier have awesome backstories compared to their tiny bits of screen time in the actual story, so we stick that info on the TwikI so it A) doesn't get lost or forgotten, and B) can be incorporated back into the story at a later date, possibly by a different writer/player altogether.  Other characters with appearances in multiple plotlines and multiple seasons, like Danielle Twedt, don't have an article, so whatever backstory anyone had in mind for her at one point is probably long lost and forgotten, and it will be hard to bring her back as a character again without having to dig through hundreds of pages of past stories looking for details to keep consistent with. 

October 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.