No Fate But What We Make

Tech Infantry - Season 10

Forums

Forum Home > Special Features > (9.1) Episode 3 Comments

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Well, I really have no excuse for that one.  Just a complete collapse of motivation for a while there, and didn't help that a game I enjoy had a major release that made procrastinating much more enjoyable.  We're nearly to the end, so hopefully we can power through these last segments without so much delay.  Please enjoy a slightly longer than usual period for writing your orders as a gift of contrition.

As always, please share your feedback with me and the other players.  It's the reason that I write, and I'm sure it's why a lot of y'all participate as well.  Hearing back from you makes everything worth it!

October 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin The Mess

Initial reactions:

RYOKO:  Awesome.  Loved the mental image of the hypersonic darts tearing apart the guards in slow motion due to time magick.  And WELTHAMMER RETURNS!  What was the point, though, of all the cargo bays with doors too small for cargo?  Was that supposed to be a clue to something? 

ASCENSION:  Ascencion's War, cute.  Everything else seemed to be going entirely TOO nice, especially the alliance with the Jurvain.  The Jurvain are not nice people.  Their hive mind commonality makes them raving xenophobes:  They have no interest or real ability to become part of anyone else's society, and no other species is physically capable of really joining theirs.  Okay, so they're POLITE raving xenophobes, more "don't give a crap about any other race one way or the other" than "hate everyone else", but their reputation in human space is not a nice one.  Even if House Francisco's mismanagement has soured the people of Kalintos on the Empire, they would not look kindly to news that their savior owes the Jurvain a bunch of big favors.  K'Nes aid they'd assume just means the cats are trying to make a credit or two off the deal, Jurvain aid means they just want the Imperial fleet gone so they can take Kalintos back for themselves, and a Jurvain-ruled Kalintos will not have humans on it, period.

THOMAS:  Okay, going overboard again with the clothing details.  Maybe less what fabric everyone's suit is made of and more details of their body language or something.  And if Ascension's "oh the economy is recovering nicely a week after a civil war, and polls show overwhelming support for the new order" was going a bit too easily, Thomas is recruiting new vampires and ghouls entirely too easily.  And when I suggested that Lisa act more ghostlike and offered the ghost librarian lady from the opening scenes of "Ghostbusters" as a possible model, I didn't think you'd take it quite so literally. That said, her reaction to Thomas' request near the end was suitably otherworldly, and the emerging plan to kill the Duke and blame the Sabbat is a decent one. 

SCOUT:  Badass fight.  Nice seeing some more info on the True Way and the False Way.  Sad seeing more confirmation that everything I thought about the Caal is wrong, since I was pretty sure (Scyr notwithstanding) that they have to kill their hosts to take them over.  Was that supposed to be Terry Smith? 

VIKTOR:  Nice seeing Gretchen be as arrogant and abrasive as Erich.  "Doctor Phil Is Copping Yer Bong"?  Cute, but not as cute as Ascension's War.  Any relation to Resistance Admiral Chuck Coppinger?  I thought the Sexton was taking his demotion a bit too easily, nice to see I was right.  Gonna be fun to see how Viktor gets himself out of this one with only one act to go! 

A pretty good episode, all in all.  Well worth the wait. 

October 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Josiah

Ryoko:
The active datapad made me laugh...  Oops.  I wasn't really expecting her entire security team to get axed like that, but the death just kept raining down.  "We are all that remains of those who die alongside us."  I'm a little baffled at how the rescue got there and who would've known to send it, but I suppose some of those details may be forthcoming.
Thomas:
I don't know about "too easily", but the bit about Gareth's lady friend being woven in all of the sudden did seem, well, a bit sudden.  Still, I guess there isn't really any reason to say explicitly that she isn't trustworthy, but when she winds up joining right about the same time as someone who has actually been mentioned previously in the story line and who has been being followed and watched for some time...  I raised an eyebrow...  I liked the setting details, but what is with Gareth and his bathrobe?  Am I missing a reference there?
Scout:
I like the bit in Avalon, too much fun reading the commodore's lazy response to the whole situation, too.  As Martin already said, epic fight, but the bit about the True Way has me wondering if there is something specific about human mages that differentiates whether they follow True Way as opposed to False Way?
Viktor:
"Co-ed church, because you've gotta make believers out of them somehow, and sex sells..."
I'm still super curious about Mandy not having a bomb in her brain, and while I'm pretty sure you aren't just going to kill her off, on the off chance she does die, what gives?  With certain doom looming overhead and close at hand, and only one episode left to go, I'm really interested to see where your story ultimately winds up.  Anyway, the drug reference(s) were fun, and I like the security chief's backstory...  I guess it is probably a good thing you have some ammo now, too  >_<

October 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xinjao

RYOKO: Great story, wonderfully suspenseful chase scene, and the bodyguards slowly being picked off was a realistic touch.  Guo dying was a punch in the gut.  A little confused as to how, when, and why Welthammer appeared, but I'm assuming that'll all be explained in the next act.  So, uh... what's up with the necklace?  It seems to be mentioned too often to just be a colorful bit of character description.

ASCENSION: I thought the explanation for why the Jurvain didn't immediately invade (established back in the prologue) made sense.  It appears Josh is trying to set up another independent Kalintos Republic, perhaps a Babylon 5-like neutral area for the different alien species to interact, trade, and conduct diplomacy in relative safety.  Works for me.  Makes sense the Empire would invade the Jurvain, since that was the point of having the Fifth Fleet hold off the Bugs.  And it looks like the Empire has more tunnel-drive warships than we realized.  But how did they engineer them if the Horadrim have remained aloof from the Empire?

THOMAS: Dafuq?  "Magistrate Kane had, of course, requested his place in the new Giovanni Cabal." - zuh?  What do yo mean "of course"?  How is that obvious?  Why would Kane want to be a blood-bonded slave to the head of a criminal organization that hasn't even firmly established itself on Jennifer's Star yet?  Why not join the far more powerful and entrenched Fearless Jackals instead?  Better yet, why not stay an independent politician and take bribes and kickbacks from both of them?  Won't becoming a vampire complicate his day job as magistrate of the third borough, where he'll frequently be required to go out in broad daylight?  This development came out of nowhere, with no foreshadowing, no setup, no explanation, doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to begin with, and I just don't buy it.  I can't really comment on the rest of the story because at that point I lost interst, stopped reading, and skipped to the next story. 

Chris, have you considered just writing a detailed outline and letting the Moderator write the actual story?  You're not getting experience points for a complete story this time, after all, and Lorpy is a much better writer (please don't take that as an insult, just a statement of fact; he's better than me, too).  For example, I think the Treschi story was as good as it was partly because Marcus wrote a lot of it.

SCOUT: Awesome as always.  I'm pretty sure that had to be Demon Hunter Terry Smith, and it was a fitting end for him.  At least now we know Caal can be killed now, at least by Vulthra magic.  I'm okay with Terry's spirit still being inside the body somewhere, as that was more-or-less established with the "Skeletal Man" in Scyr's plotline.  But shouldn't Terry also have been a rotting corpse, like Scyr was?

VIKTOR: I, too, would like to know how Viktor's going to get out of that situation.  It was a surprise to me too.  It also pre-empted what I was trying to set up for a victory over the Bugs in act four, so now I'm not sure what I'm going to do or how.  I was going to reveal why Mandy doesn't have a cortex bomb, but now I don't even know if she's alive, and if she is I doubt I'll have page length to explain what's up with Mandy.   Clearly, Ascension and Thomas are having such an easy time of it becuase they magically dumped all their bad karma on Viktor.

The Security Chief was Lorpy's invention, and an excellent one at that.  You can also blame the Coppinger-Bong joke on Lorpy.  I named the character Phyllis, but didn't even realize the potential for a name joke there.  Dr. Bong was inspired by Dr. Bong, one of the most ridiculous comic book supervillains ever, and specifically the joke that "Dr. Bong is not the name of a supervillain, it's the nickname of your college roommate who was always stoned and ate all your ramen noodles."

--

=^_^=

October 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

I'll field a few of these:

MARTIN asks >What was the point, though, of all the cargo bays with doors too small for cargo? Was that supposed to be a clue to something?<

The cargo bays were supposed to be sort of split-level, with small doors for a personnel walkway on top, and larger doors leading to a cargo moving system on bottom.  Ryoko wondering what was going on was just supposed to be a bit of descriptive color, since she's not all that familiar with the minutiae of space cargo handling.  Sorry to disappoint, I've noticed that I have a tendency to throw in details like that which end up misleading people into thinking they're important clues or hints.

JOSIAH asks >the bit about the True Way has me wondering if there is something specific about human mages that differentiates whether they follow True Way as opposed to False Way?<

All human mages practice what the Vulthra call the "False Way" and the Caal refer to as "patternistic" magic (and kudos to Marcus for coming up with much better-sounding labels for this stuff than I did).

Martin and Xinjao correctly identified the Demon Hunter Scout fought as Terry Smith.  He's actually not a mage, but what the classic World of Darkness called a Hunter, and his power is apparently similar to the Vulthra's True Way (or Caal "entrophic" magic).

XINJAO asks >But shouldn't Terry also have been a rotting corpse, like Scyr was?<

The decay of Scyr's body was due to untreated injuries he sustained over the course of Season 9,  especially the leg he stole from someone else, the flesh of which rotted away because it was never properly attached to the living portion of his body.  But he didn't become an actual corpse until the Orb cut his head off.  

In the case of the Emperor, I prefer to think that its host body is still alive, though grievously injured and emaciated.  My excuse is that the Emperor needs the body alive to control the Orb, but the actual reason may just be that I'm reluctant to outright kill Mlle's Victoria character.  I feel rather sorry for her.

Also, the Dr. Bong pun was completely unintentional, though of course I'm pleased to see it after the fact.  I just thought a Dr. Bong growing pot plants and magic mushrooms was a little too much, so I added the hyphenated name as paper-thin cover.  The name was pulled from Kazimir Vitek's TIwiki article, as part of an implied explanation of why she would be on Babylon and meet the ahem person she can't quite remember.

October 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin The Mess

XInjao, that was uncalled for.  Your point about the Magistrate's willingness to be embraced is a valid one.  In retrospect, Zolo should have put some foreshadowing in there before, maybe have Kane be a bit fanboyish around or otherwise clearly fascinated by Vampires, or have him say something wistfully about wishing he was immortal, too.  I've personally gotten sick of this argument with Zolo since last season.  Yes, there are a subset of humanity who would eagerly volunteer to be turned into a vampire.  Some want the supernatural powers, some want to live forever (even at the cost of, well, technically being dead the whole time anyways), some just want to be naughty and think this will give them an excuse to kill people who annoy them, and some are just freaking crazy and/or deluded enough to find the idea sexy or thrilling.  But yes, the vast majority would die first, and most of the rest would take a pass due to not wanting to spend eternity hiding in the shadows for fear of being staked by a Crusader Team. 

Zolo keeps forgetting that, however much this game universe runs on the idea that there are powerful magical creatures lurking in the shadows secretly running the universe, Vampires, for all their power, are not the masters of the universe.  They are a persecuted, hunted minority, in the shadows because they will be KILLED if they emerge into the light. Much like drug dealers, mafiosi, and wrestling fans, no amount of official persecution will ever completely wipe them out, largely due to the fact that there are always more willing to take the place of the fallen.  But their retirement plan is still "prison or death by cop".  Al Capone may have run Chicago for a few years, but the Feds still sent him to prison for life. 

And yes, the Crusader Teams are still active, although they're now funded and controlled by the local houses rather than the Imperium.  They're a bit less effective as a result, and totally inactive on Wilke's Star and Van Diemen for obvious reasons, but planets like Angel One still outlaw vampires and ghouls.  That is likely to change there if Thomas manages to kill the Duke and get his allies in place, or perhaps they'll keep the laws and the Crusader Teams as a way to keep other vamps from horning in on Giovanni territory.  But for now, becoming a vampire is a really stupid idea for the Magistrate for all the reasons XInjao listed. 

But refusing to read the rest of the story?  Now you've gone too far.  Remember how touchy Zolo gets about these things.  Yes, he's not as good a writer as someone raised by a pro or who's been practicing writing for years.  Most of his writing experience is in dry research reports on Economics and such, playing this game is his only real creative writing experience, so cut him some slack because he's learning as he goes. He's also got a lot of real-world crap going on in his life right now, and is only still playing at all because I talked him out of quitting.  So don't refuse to read his story, read it, and then offer constructive criticism of how he could have made it better.  "You should have foreshadowed/explained this better" is a good comment.  "That was so stupid I stopped reading" is not, it just makes the rest of us want to stop reading your commentary in response. 

And Lorpy, maybe you should have spent less time dumping unexpected Bug invasions onto poor Viktor and pre-empting his planned climax, and more time rewriting/editing Zolo's story so it didn't suck so much. You're a much better and more experienced writer than Zolo is, and I know he's been submitting his stories early.  Give him some feedback so he can revise them with your help. 

Harlan Ellison used to do a stunt where he'd set up his typewriter in the window of a bookstore, and write a short story over the course of a day, taping each page of the story up to the window as he finished it, for passers-by to read along.  I can only assume he had some sort of outline and concept in mind before starting, but still, the inabilty to go back and edit/revise something already written earlier in the story makes things like foreshadowing and setup hard to do.  And that's pretty much what we're doing here, taping each episode to the window of the Internet as we write them, with very little ability to revise afterwards beyond occasional typo correction.  Ever since Marcus shot down Erich Von Shrakenberg over Mars, I've not bothered to make detailed plans more than an act or so ahead, as whatever plot elements the Editor doesn't screw up with his edits, other players are likely to ruin with their own machinations.  Without such plans, foreshadowing is very, very difficult to do.  We all need to cut each other some slack over such things.  This miniseries, we have the added problem of a truncated story length, so we don't have time to set up things months in advance.  Even cutting out the menswear catalogue that seems to preface every one of Zolo's scenes doesn't give room for the several entire SCENES it would take to properly set up something like the Magistrate's willingness to become Undead, or even that other ghoul's girlfriend. Some things need to be cut for time, and unfortunately that seems to be one of them, even assuming he knew in advance that it was coming and needed some setup first. 

One other thing.  Lorpy, I always assumed that "Entrophic" = Scientific/Technological and "Patternistic" = Magickal.  No, strike that, I assumed it was the other way around, THAT'S how badly you clarified it last time.  Granted, thanks to the meddling of the Technocracy, even "Science" is a bit magickal in the TI/WW universe.  But throwing in the additinal True Way/False Way is getting ridiculous. Oh, there's the nugget of a good idea here (several in fact), but please, for the love of all that is holy, establish this bit of canon so the rest of us can write consistently with it too. 

October 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zolo
Administrator

I felt that the stories were very good this week, and I am looking forward to episode 4.

I always appreciate the feedback and in the past I have received my share of critism. Which is normal. Whenever I write my stories, I never expect everyone to like them. In regards to the submission this week, I realize that some forshadowing details would have been nice to more adequately explain why Kane would choose to join the Giovanni organization. There were some background notes I had regarding his prior relationship with Thomas, but there really was not enough room to go into detail within the space constraints of the miniseries. I guess I tried to do too much. Also the others brought into the group probably could have used some more explanation as well. That being said, it can be hard to think of everything when it comes to writing these stories and normally it isn't until I get feedback that I realize that I might have missed something important.

In response to the comments made by Xinjao, I appreciate his feedback as well. But he is not the next Charles Dickens. Nobody in this group is. We all have varying degrees of writing abilities and experience. However, I know that the only way for me to become a better writer is to write. This is the main reason I participate in this game, because I can have fun writing my own stories. And, I believe that with practice over time I can get better. I would wager a lot of great writers out there started off receiving harsh critism as well, instead of encourgement. But, they stuck with it and got better.

So I am sorry Ed. I am going to continue writing my stories regardless of what you think about them. You may think my writing is garbage, but I would bet that some of the other readers of these stories do not. And, while most of 4.3 was written by the moderator, the submissinons that I did write were well received. Season 9 was a success in my opinion. It had some good acts and episodes. I kind of wish that it had ended differently, but it is what it is. How many other writers out there that have been published can't say the same thing?

October 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

I'll point out that Kane said he wanted to join the Giovanni in Episode 2, in fact he pressured Thomas into allowing it by having Baron Wellington back the decision.  I always imagined him as one of the slightly-unbalanced people who romanticize vampires, despite general public fear of them.  While I certainly agree that the correct view of vampirism is as a curse, and that it drives most of its victims to do evil, horrible things, I don't think it should ever be surprising to encounter volunteers for the condition, especially not in this universe.  I see no more need to go to great lengths justifying that decision than to justify the existence of religious fanatics, mass-murdering psychopaths, genocidal aliens, or child molesters.

Thomas' story is certainly different from the others in 9.1, the pace is slower and Zolo's writing style clashes painfully with my own.  But I don't give any less attention to his orders, nor spend any less time editing his story than the others.  I like Thomas' story, just as I do all the others, and I eagerly anticipate its conclusion.  If I did not feel each installment of it was worth reading, then I would hold back episodes until I had beaten them into a shape where I did.  I welcome criticism, advice, and perspectives on how to make it (and every other story) better or easier to read for you guys, and I hope Zolo does too.  But I absolutely think you'll be missing out if you simply skip over Thomas' part of this story.

Martin, in regard to the Caal magic, I'll certainly cop to making a hash of introducing the concepts in the second half of Season 9.  I never had a solid plan on the sequence of events going into the conclusion, which made it hard to figure out how to dribble out the exposition at appropriate times and in the right quantities.  I also have a bad habit, which all of you have surely noticed by now, of being too subtle with my revelations, I don't highlight the important tidbits well or make incorrect assumptions about the conclusions readers will draw from limited information.

So with that in mind: I'm not sure what further information you want about the subject.  To review what I currently think you should know:  The Caal don't distinguish between "magic" and "technology", their science is sufficiently advanced to comfortably fit both into their understanding of nature without contradiction.  "Entrophism" is their term for a fundamental force of nature, the manipulation of which the Vulthra call the True Way, and which shares some elements with what Werewolves call the Wyrm or human wraiths Oblivion.  It is anti-reality, and a force that inevitably consumes just about all sentient creatures in the universe.  The Caal resented the entrophic aspect of their nature, because it is what made them mortal.  Their attempt to purge the entrophic portion of themselves made them immortal, but it hasn't been the blessing they expected.  To try to rectify their mistake, they sought after an entrophic singularity, a physical manifestation of the piece of themselves that they cut out: the supremely dangerous and powerful "concentrated pocket of unreality" known to humanity as the Orb.  "Patternism" is the Caal term for the more familiar substance of reality.  All of human magick, which the Vulthra call the False Way, revolves around manipulating patternistic elements (including the Entropy Sphere).  Just about everything in the universe is patternistic: matter, anti-matter, gravity, and the strong nuclear force.  The Orb is pretty much the only entrophic object known to the Caal, and as we saw in Episode 2, just idea of constructing something using the "False Way" is deeply weird to the Vulthra.

And I think that's pretty much it so far.  The goal was to create a metaphysics that explained the Caal's wraithlike nature and their obsession with the Orb.  Since they're an opposing ancient elder-race counterpart to the Horadrim, I figured it was natural to emphasize magic over mundane technology.  At the same time, I wanted to keep them distinct from human mages, so I had them treat magic as technology.  They ended up being sort of like the Technocracy if, instead of trying to suppress reality deviants to enforce their preferred consensus, they chose instead to try to expand their consensus to incorporate everything.  So when encountering a spirit, for instance, a Traditions mage might give it tribute, a Technocrat would try to kill it off, and the ancient Caal would try to take it apart to see how it worked and later build their own.  Of course, pretty much all of their knowledge has been lost over the millennia spent as wraiths being slowly driven mad by the pain and resentment of their disembodied existence.

Okay, hopefully that helps rather than making everything even less clear.  Stayed up waaay too late writing this, hopefully I won't wake up to find it's all just incomprehensible babble.

October 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xinjao

Well, it looks like an owe Zolo an apology.  I sometimes get so caught up in wanting to make TI story to be best collaborative novel possible I forget that its main purpose IS just to have fun.

I did  read the rest of Thomas's story.  Lorpy is right, it is much more of a slow-burning political intrigue story than, say, Scout's action-intensive story.  The tricky thing with slow-burners, though, is that they're in constant danger of becoming boring or dull.

I didn't remember "Kane wants to be a vampire" from episode two, but I did go back and find the reference.  Unfortunately, it was only one line, which I either forgot about by episode three or missed completely when I read it the first time.  I also didn't realize at the time that Kane joining the Giovanni Cabal meant becoming a vampire or ghoul - although, if I had stopped to think about it for a minute, since all members of the Giovanni Cabal are ghouls or vampires, I would have made the connection.  A = B = C and all that.  So yeah, this might fall under the "too subtle" category.  With plot points that aren't necessarily important at the time but will become important later, I tend to either use the surrounding dialogue to call attention to it, a figurative "flashing arrow" if you will, or I mention it in passing two or three times in the hope it will sink in to the reader's memory.

The Caal Twiki entry has some info on entrophism and patternism.  Perhaps we should duplicate that info in the "Magick" Twiki entry, just for the sake of clarity?

--

=^_^=

October 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

So, just to try to keep everyone abreast of progress again for Ep 4:

It looks like there's more work for me to do than usual (mostly due to final-stretch wind-down, I think), but so far I feel better about keeping a steady pace of work.  Rather than trying to complete the stories one-by-one, I've been switching among them doing little bits and pieces.  That does make it harder to put progress in concrete terms, but I'd estimate I'm around 15-20% finished, even though I don't have any single story plugged into the final document yet.

October 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Didn't really sleep last night, and it sort of left me drained today.  But I did get a little bit of work done.  Progress estimates by story are:

-Ascension: 70%

-Ryoko: 0%

-Scout: 50%

-Thomas: 40%

-Viktor: 10%

October 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Hope everyone had a happy Halloween.  In celebration, I mostly worked on Thomas' story (he even wears a costume, a prize to anyone who guesses it in advance).  I fear the writer's block is afflicting me again, but I'm still chipping away.

November 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Josiah

Another vampire's skin?
Or maybe that doesn't qualify as a costume...
In the meantime, I'm not real worried about how long it takes...  I've actually been kind of relieved that it's slowed down as much as it has, as life seems to be trying to drag me along...  When we started I had a lot more time on my hands, but now I wouldn't be opposed to playing a game with a monthly order cycle on a two week cycle between submissions and publishing...  Just a thought, since I know I'm not the only one with time concerns (and if I gather correctly some of you have it a lot worse than I do)...

November 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Yesterday I worked on Ryoko's story, probably about 1/3 of the way through it.  I feared it was going to be hard to not let JW take over the story, since I'm doing most of the writing and he's my old character (and I hope will be again), but Ryoko's such a fascinating character herself that I don't think it's a problem.  I have to say back in Season 9 I was highly skeptical of the story of Taka and the Yasuyama clan; but after forcing myself to really learn about them for the miniseries, I've been enjoying the background material they provide.  It's been both a challenge and a pleasure trying to breathe life into this thing Andy created; and hopefully he's not too upset with the way I've approached the effort.

Today I went to see the Ender's Game movie, which had excellent visuals and music, but a groan-worthy script.  For an adaptation of one of my absolute favorite stories of all time, it was a disappointment, but not an insult to my memory as I worried it might turn out.  But if I can at all help it, TI's script will be much more impactful and clear.

This is my battle cry tonight as I open up Scout's story and get to work.

November 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Also sent as an e-mail:

I'm sorry for the long delay, folks. Non-fictional concerns have been eating up a lot of my attention and willpower these last few weeks. That hasn't kept me especially busy, but it has been stressful, and I haven't had the patience to work with TI very much when I've been free. I'm not especially hopeful that the situation is going to get better soon, either. My original, naive fantasy was to have the miniseries finished by mid-October to prevent this from happening, but that ship has sailed; sorry it's taken you guys along with me. My resolve to finish 9.1 remains, this story will be concluded, it's just not going to happen as fast as it ought to. As always, every one of you has my sincere thanks for letting me tell this story with you in the first place, and my regrets for having to put up with the drag.

In the meantime, if you're looking to fill a TI-shaped hole in your heart, let me plug the TI Wiki: http://techinfantry.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Infantry_Wiki The project can always use attention generally. But to try to mitigate a bit of the downtime, I think I'll borrow from one of Zolo's original Season 10 ideas that I'd omitted in my rules. I am now prepared to award extra character points in exchange for creating a wiki article for your characters in 9.1. I'll award 1 point for your player character (Scout will get one retroactively), and a further point for every 2 NPCs from your character's 9.1 story that gets a new article (just make sure the entries are of sufficient length that someone could find them useful). Hopefully this will be good for the wiki as well as keep the character point contest sporting even here towards the end, as one of you has a fairly large lead just now.

November 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xinjao

What would you guesstimate the progress percentages are for each story?

--

=^_^=

November 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Had an inspired evening, and managed to get the first full character story completed and plugged into the final document.  Ended up being a lot more work to do than I had thought, but it all came pretty easily, even though I totally lost track of time.  I am cautiously optimistic that I'm back in the groove, and I've probably got enough free time for a few days after tomorrow to keep up the momentum.

December 8, 2013 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Second story completed and plugged into the final document.  Probably puts me around 50-60% completed overall.  The next two I expect to be relatively painless to finish up, just so long as I have the time and energy (signs are good).  Last one's looking trickier, but I'm not going to worry much about it until I'm there.

December 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Josiah

So a computer format and a change of phones caused me to almost forget this was going on...  What are the odds of a pre-New Years release at this point?  No real rush, but I'm anxious to do some writing lately, and wondering if I should launch into a seperate project or save that impulse for the epilogue...
As an aside, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

December 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorpius Prime
Administrator

Bad.  My family's annual holiday madness season has been in full-swing for the past week and a half (I just got back from a spur-of-the-moment 5 hour drive to deliver my first-cousin-once-removed to her mother on the other side of the state, to give you an idea of what sort of an ordeal this always is).  The madness is currently scheduled to end on the 30th, but historical experience is that the reality often drags on for a day or two past its ideal expiration.

The good news is that, once everything does finally settle down, it really will be settled for several months, so I shouldn't keep getting sucked into the sort of craziness and preparations-for-craziness that have been eating my time and sanity since October.  I anticipate being able to wrap up TI pretty quickly.

Also, I'll point out that around these parts, the holiday is known as DANEMAS.  Do have a happy one, however.

December 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.